Thursday, March 3, 2016

Motherhood Right Now


Motherhood right now is....


- Simple days spent mostly inside our home. There is a beauty in our simple days.
 - applauding Lyla's valiant efforts in trying to see her diaper past her protruding belly. An effort indeed, but an effort in vain.
- Negotiating all day with a straight up THREENAGER.  I've been reading the book "Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids" and I love it. However there is no section written on senselessly independent and irrational threenagers. 

- Staring at my baby staring out the window at the beautiful falling snow. Flapping her arms, rocking her body, and grinning at those entertaining snowflakes.


 - Watching her take care of her babies. Feeding them, nursing them, rocking them, wrapping them up, and getting scolded sometimes when I speak----"MOM! SHH my baby is sleeping!"
- Telling the same stories from my childhood over, and over again. Her favorite story is the one where I had to get stitches in my chin after I split it open on the kitchen table, She can recite it word for word, and I can sometimes catch her telling that story to her babies as she "puts them to bed". Yes, that story is becoming my legacy.
 - Being told I'm beautiful on the daily by this little sweetie. And being compared to some very...beautiful things. i.e.: "Wow mom, you look beautiful! You look like a weird camel!"
 - Trying to comfort this patient little gal after repeat incidents that involve another small, somewhat tyrannical, member of the family.
 - Having a sidekick for every single thing I cook and/or bake. She takes her roll as the taste tester the most seriously. And MUST taste everything as it goes into the bowl/pan/pot. Her newest obsession and accomplishment is microwaving things. A few things I've rescued from a surely microwaved fate: a bag of carrots, a jar of jam, an unwrapped stick of butter that was NOT in a bowl, and a victimized stuffed dog.
- Hearing her yell, as she is mixing ingredients: "Look! I'm a mommy!" Do you seem a theme? I find some comfort in the fact that, even though there are times when she is SO thinking I'm the worst because I won't give her a cookie for breakfast or I cut up her pancake wrong, all she really wants is to be exactly what I am.
- Relishing and admiring their sweet relationship. If this picture could talk (sing), you would hear jane's high pitched voice singing "eating cookies, as a family" to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Making up songs is her jam.


Motherhood right now is something I will miss with all of my heart one day. I can't imagine doing anything that can refine me and stretch me as much as being a mother! Every mother I know is amazing, because every mother is trying her best. And there are times when you have to dig down real deep for that "best". I am grateful for the growing experiences these children give me. I know that I'll never be perfect, but I can at least teach my children that when you're not perfect- you can fix it! Say sorry, try harder, smile more, pray more- and eventually your "best" self will be something you're quite proud of.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this post?! I needed that part at the end - the last couple of weeks I have felt like a total failure of a mother and it's nice to hear some encouragement from someone other than Tom! (Not that his encouragement isn't nice, it's just...he has to say those things ya know? ;) You are an awesome mother and I wish we were closer so I could spend time with you and your cute girls! Miss and love you all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...