Wednesday, October 9, 2019

My Relationship With My Life

I listened to a podcast by one of my very favorite podcasters recently. (Better Than Happy by Jody Moore) and she talked about how we should have a relationship with our life in a similar way that we would have a relationship with another person. And while developing this relationship with your life, you should be intentional and deliberate about the stories you are telling yourself in your head about your life.

Think about answering the questions like "How are you?", "How are your kids?", "How do you like it where you live?" and how you want to be able to answer those. You don't have to lie, by any means, but you can tell the story the way you want to. You don't have to include the parts about tantrums, and pregnancy struggles, and the unforgiving humidity; even if they may be equally part of your life. It's not about making your life sound perfect. I've learned that being in the army, YOU are the person who gets to decide how each duty station goes for you. The place we are living right now... Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, has one of the worst reputations out of all the army bases in the country. I go onto Facebook and see the endless complaints people have about the place. So I wanted to take a minute to write down how my relationship with my current life is right now.

We live on a street with SO many kids and so many amazing families. All three of my kids live a 1 minute walk away from all of their very best friends, and their parents are Jeff and I's best friends too. We swap with each other when anyone has a doctor appointment, and our kids almost always play happily together. We bring each other pick me ups and meals when someone needs it, and know that they'd do the same for us if the roles were reversed. We plan fun outings together but also have lots of game nights and casual play dates. We all walk to school together most mornings and it is quite the brigade. We always stop at the park on the way home from school drop off to let the littler ones play at the park together, as us moms discuss our most recent parenting successes and failures. Lyla and Jane both start crying at the thought of not living right next to all their best friends. The neighborhood we live in is a complete dream. If the weather isn't stormy, I can guarantee you will hear the loud laughter of children outside.








I have 3 amazing kids, and one sweet baby growing healthy and strong in my belly. They love each other SO MUCH and they are all perfectly healthy. They all bring different, beautiful, and unique things to our family and each one has taught me so many lessons. My favorite parts of of the day are dinner time when we all sit down and eat and laugh together; and also after scriptures and prayers we all put our hands together and do our family cheer "We are the Andersens and we can do hard things!" Even Cooper gets excited and puts his hand on the ottoman. Amidst the chaos, there really is so much love and encouragement in our house.

My busy, busy baby boy lets me sing and rock him to sleep every night.

My girls love to cook with me, sing with me, exercise with me, and their very favorite thing to do is to just talk with me. I hope that never changes.

My husband comes home and plays with the kids until he breaks a sweat just about every night.  He calls me every day on the way home to ask if I need anything from the store. He often does dishes and takes out the trash. He always gives me a big hug when he gets home, and laughs and talks with me every night after the kids are asleep.  He is always supportive in letting me do anything that will help me to get a mental break. He rubs my feet and massages my legs when I get charlie horses and then makes sure I take vitamins the next morning.

As we get ready to move away from this place; a place I never expected to love so much, I just hope and pray that I can have a similarly positive relationship with the next place that I live and the next phase of my life. (read: mom of FOUR!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...