Monday, November 18, 2019

Mom Life: 4 Kids Edition

Adeline is 18 days old today and I think my official opinion is that newborn-ness lasts for approximately 14 days and then POOF it's gone. So I'm mourning right now. I've had more emotions this time than with any other baby because, HELLO, this is my 4th kid. It's not like I'm at the beginning of my mothering journey anymore. I don't KNOW if I will have another coming along in a few years like I've always known before. Knowing there were more little Andersens coming made it a LITTLE easier to handle my babies growing so quick. 

I've always thought of 4 kids as not a lot of kids. There are 4 kids in my family, and whenever anyone asks me how many siblings I have, I've always said "oh, just 3!" 

Well I was dead wrong. 4 kids is a lot of kids. Especially when you've only been married for 7 years, and graduated from high school for 9. It's been a crazy, lovely whirlwind. I have, again, become extremely emotional when I think about this life Jeff and I have created together. It's so crazy for me to remember back to the time I vividly remember seeing (and "closely observing" aka staring at) Jeff for the first time and how I had NO CLUE that in 7 years I'd be staring at my 4th newborn who makes the same facial expressions when they are sleeping as he does. Or that I'd be trying to contain the LOUDNESS and ENERGY of my son who is his spitting image and who also comes by those qualities very naturally thanks to his father. Speaking of his father, he is Superman in my eyes. He just swoops in and saves the day in every way whenever he is home. I've been so grateful for the way he has been taking care of every member of his family. Like the other night at 2 am he came back in our room after being up with Cooper and I was nursing Addie, he stops and asks: "Kerri when is the last time you drank water?!" I said "I don't know" and he ran and got my huge water bottle and filled it up for me. He is a gem and I love him.

For the first 2 weeks, my mother in law and my mom took turns coming to our home and lightening the load in a big way. I've had a few days on my own now and I can't lie and say this transition has been easy. I remember staring at the wall like a deer in the headlights after I'd been home from the hospital for 3 hours and I was trying to feed the baby while Cooper was constantly trying to poke the baby in the eyes, and the girls were fighting over something ridiculous and making a huge mess doing it. Like, whoa what have we gotten ourselves into? But then there are the moments when they are all gently circled around baby adeline taking turns softly stroking her hair and singing her songs. Its a good mixture of those two types of scenarios. 

I think it's mostly because Cooper alone probably takes up 80% of my energy. He is the busiest child I've ever birthed by FAR. Also the loudest. Also the most mischievous. Also the one who really truly cannot stop himself from whacking people with his beloved plastic golf clubs. But also, dare I say, the cutest?! He makes me laugh so hard and melts my heart into multiple puddles a day. His body is always in motion, fast motion. Usually running around kicking or throwing a ball, pulling things out of drawers and cupboards, chasing and tackling his sisters. Taking small breaks every 20 minutes or so to come give the baby a kiss and a fist bump. (just have to make sure he doesn't try to fist bump her without extremely paranoid supervision.) 
signing the ward "candy" which was what I bribed them with to smile for pictures. obviously.

Jane has been so helpful. I'm feeling grateful to her especially today when Jeff was gone all day. Cooper is SOOOO much happier when she is around and she has the magic touch with him. She is also my "fetcher" of all things while I am nursing. Jeff and I have tried to give her at least some one on one time everyday. She only needs a little bit of REAL quality time to fill her bucket, but she needs it like she needs food. So as long as that happens, we have a happy, helpful oldest sibling in the house. 


Lyla's obsession for Adeline is like nothing else. She gets mad when anyone else is holding her. She desperately wants to be able to cradle and rock and cuddle her like I do, but her body isn't quite as big and cushion-y as mine. So that has been a learning process. We've had to enforce a few rules like "ONLY kisses on the baby's head" and "no moving her head or her body into different positions when you are holding her." It is pretty nice that I can say "finish your chores and then you can hold baby Addie!" and off she will happily bound to do her chores. She also loves to sing to Adeline- real songs and made up songs- and it is adorable. Lyla has her own unique way of dealing with huge change, and utter defiance is her favorite way of doing that. So we've also tried to incorporate as many mommy/daddy dates as possible for her. Lyla cares so much about her baby sister though and her love for her is as intense as it is precious. 
sisters :)


And as for Sweet Adeline, well she is just pure perfection! She really likes to eat which is great because that little squirt was in need of a few rolls on those little chicken legs. I believe Jeff's exact words were "I've literally eaten chicken wings bigger than her legs!" When she came home, she was only 5 pounds 8 ounces but at her 2 week check up she had bounced back up to 6 pounds 10 ounces! Whoever said motherhood is a thankless job forgot about those appointments when the doctor tells you your baby gained a pound and a half in 10 days, all thanks to your countless hours spent nursing. A victory for sure! Addie loves sleeping with her arm snuggled up to her face, she likes being swaddled but also can sleep without being swaddled. Music totally calms her, and as much as she adores her handsy siblings, she definitely prefers her momma and daddy. 

She is just perfect and I am in complete awe that I've had 4 healthy and happy babies. My favorite way to hold her is to have her little face squished right next to mine so I can just inhale her sweet scent and kiss her soft cheeks incessantly. She is also my best smelling baby because she rarely spits up (knock on wood) so she doesn't get that nasty neck cheese. She is already a super curious and super AWAKE baby. Ever since we brought her home, she would have long stretches of being awake. Usually newborns can last about 20 minutes before passing out! This girl has a few solid 3 hour stretches during the day of being wide awake. It is seriously impressive. 

Adeline has reminded me once again that newborns are pure magic. I've enjoyed every single second with her. I love her with my whole heart! I can't wait to see who she becomes. 

She is too good to be true. So grateful she joined our family.

Oh and in case you were wondering what she looks like today...ill give you a hint. She doesn't look like a newborn anymore. I want to cry....


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...