Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Quarantine

My emotions have ebbed and flowed, spiked and calmed, flipped and flopped in the past 3 weeks. I'm sure many people are in the same tumultuous boat. For many of us, the pendulum is swinging from frantic & terrified to peaceful & grateful. I feel very grateful that we aren't affected too much by the world essentially shutting down, but my worries and fears have been for those who have been deeply affected. I feel helpless but so wanting to be a part of the goodness being spread. The kids and I have been doing little things here and there to try to lift others, but it feels like a tiny drop in the bucket.

Homeschooling hasn't been the worst. In fact, part of me really wants to just keep homeschooling. I love seeing my kids being able to be kids. Way more time for playing, leisurely reading, riding bikes, etc. The saddest part to me personally is that we just barely moved to a new place, we were starting to sort of make a few friends and get to know some people. But essentially, we are not allowed to make any friends right now. A little depressing. But again, a measly complaint when contrasted with the stories of people whose lives are being upturned. Some of the saddest stories I've heard: one couple's IVF transfer got canceled. Having a child you've been sacrificing so much for getting canceled is about the worst thing I can imagine. I have some friends and cousins whose weddings got canceled! Such a bummer! Missionaries getting sent home from their missions, from amazing places like New Zealand in the case of one of my cousins! So many family trips being canceled. So many jobs being canceled. It is so eerie, and every day living in this shut down world feels so similar to the way a nightmare feels. Kinda weird and discombobulated and unbelievable.

So there are sad things, for sure. Awful things, for sure. But, I'm putting my John Krasinski hat on and focusing on the good things. There are so many of them. So many people with huge platforms are using them for good, to raise money for those in need. Bill Gates coming in clutch as usual. I so admire the people who have more than they need and are willing to figure out ways to give their excess to people who need it more than they do. Just like Mr. Rogers said: "Look for the helpers!" This world is full of them and I want to hug each of them.

The biggest tender mercy in this whole situation for me personally is the weather here in El Paso. I've raved about it every single day we've lived here. So far, I have yet to go outside and feel cold. I have yet to go outside and feel hot. It is perfect weather and we take full advantage. Lots of long runs for me, and SOOO many walks & bike rides & hikes with the kids. Lyla learned how to ride a bike with no training wheels. Picked it up in a hot second and is now cruising along like she's been doing it for years.

So far since there has been no school, we've done a unit on clouds, rocks & gemstones, and this week we are learning about Russia. I love learning right along with them. We only do a few hours of focused learning a day, but Jane's activity of choice during free time is usually learning oriented. i.e. reading, audiobooks, word searches (her newest obsession), playing board games (she is currently learning to play chess), and lots of baking. Yesterday, she made banana bread 100% on her own. The only thing I did was take it out of the oven because she isn't real interested in burning her arm off. There has also been ample time for jane to learn her first tiktok dance, inspired by Uncle Will and Aunt Kaycee.

There have also been SO many opportunities to be problem solvers and peace makers. Oh the sibling rivalry is real and nearly constant. But sometimes the giggles of the three older kids are echoing throughout my house and I just savor those moments. Lyla usually stops when that happens and asks "Mom, is that your favorite sound in the world?" because she knows that it is.

Honestly this is such a boring blog post but it's better than documenting NOTHING. So here you go, a mediocre, quarantine cliche blog post.
 Multi-tasker extraordinaire: listening to a book and digging for gold.
Jane's "uplifting" chalk art.
 This is me saying YES TO THE MESS if it means my kids are playing happily together. They made a very intricate living space for themselves.
 Cooper's language is exploding finally. He loves everything. Literally everything he gets excited about. Moving vehicles, animals, anything in nature, letters, colors, people. He says "Hiiii!" to every person we ever walk by.

Cloud in a Jar. The easiest and coolest experiment!

 Sedimentary//Igenous//Metamorphic Rock experiment. It was a fun one. 

 Making prayer rocks for rock week. How fitting!
 Cooper stretching with me after my run. I love that little boy so much. And how he is my little shadow. And how he says "Hop-a-doo-doo" when you ask him what a rooster says.

 One blissful afternoon when Lyla got Addie to sleep and then fell asleep herself. Pinch me. These girls both protest sleep for a living, so it needed to be captured. Addie likes having a blanket by her face when she falls asleep. Have no fear that I'm a hovering little bee making sure she can breathe.
 So we got a little crazy for April Fools day this year. I gave them water mixed with powdered cheese and told them it was orange juice. I also put cups upside down on the table with water in them. If you ever want to get a completely dramatic overreaction from a prank, or from anything at all, Lyla is your ideal target. We also did a "silly dinner" they had to roll dice to decide on their food. Jane ate chicken nuggets out of a mug and Lyla ate ramen noodles with a spatula. A really easy way to transform a lame dinner into a "mom, you're the best ever! let's do this every year!"




 Let's not forget Conference Weekend! What a perfect time for reassurance and peace to be infused into our souls. We had lots of activities to keep the kids engaged and they loved it.

 Not even a huge cinnamon roll fan but these are absolutely heaven! It was good that we gave some away. 

 We took the kids on a rocky hike which was the perfect field trip to wrap up both cloud and rock week. The girls proudly proclaimed that they were mountain goats and really loved the hike. I love the skies in El Paso. They are so BLUE and the clouds are always different everyday.

 This little baby completely rules the roost over here. She is starting to scoot and have cooing conversations with me and is the rolliest little baby around. We are all so obsessed. There is just no other way to put it.
The garage has been Jeff's project the past few weeks. He built shelves coming down from the ceilings to hold all of our bins, and he built a table to work on for all future wood projects. He is so awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...