Sunday, September 29, 2013

homemade bread and a funny husband

So one of our neighbors brought us a loaf of homemade bread a couple weeks ago. It took all of our self control to not eat the whole loaf in one sitting. Jeff and I couldn't get enough. And even though i LOVE my mom's recipe and I've used that in the past, I got the recipe from them because i wanted to see if i could recreate it. Let me tell you it is the BEST homemade bread ever. AND it's wholewheat!

Anyways, I found out that it was my neighbor's husband who made the bread. She informed me that her husband makes bread EVERY WEEK! lucky girl! So i turned to jeff and said:

"JEFF. her husband makes bread every week! I would die and go to heaven if you did that."
"well yeah duh, THAT'S why i don't do it. I don't want you to die. That would be dumb!"

haha. tousche.
Anyways, here is the recipe. (by the way I'm going to start posting more recipes on this blog)
 I've always had a fear of baking with yeast. It stresses me out. yeastaphobia, i like to call it. But I'm getting braver, and I'm  happy to say this bread turned out pretty good (not perfect though) on my first attempt!

WHOLE-WHEAT HOMEMADE BREAD
Ingredients:

6 cups warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2/3 Cup sugar
2/3 Cup oil
2 Tablespoons salt
13-14 Cups whole wheat flour


Directions:
-Put 6 cups of warm water into the bosch (or whatever mixing device you have) with 2 Tablespoons of yeast and 1 T of sugar. mix slightly. Let sit until the yeast reacts. 
- Once the yeast has reacted, add the rest of the sugar, oil, salt, and HALF of the flour.
- Mix in the bosch (or other food mixer) until all clumps are out.
- Add the rest of the flour 
- Mix on high speed for a long time (5-7 minutes) until the dough is sticky but it cleans the sides of the bowl.

- Spray table with Pam, and put the dough on the table to rise. Place a thin towel over the top to prevent drying out of the dough. Let it rise until it doubles in size.
- Once it has risen, cut dough into 4 large, even pieces. 
- Form the 4 pieces of dough into loaves and put them into sprayed bread pans
- Let bread rise in pan for 20-25 minutes.
- Put in an non pre-heated oven at 350 and bake for 35 minutes. (it may be less or more time depending on the oven and climate, just check it occasionally to make sure it isn't burning)

and voila! you've got delicious homemade bread, a happy tummy, and a happier husband.
and also your apartment will smell like heaven.

even though this bread is perfect the way it is, i might be brave try using raw honey instead of sugar next time just to make it a little bit healthier. still trying to decide if it's worth the risk...

he hates when i disrupt his bread eating by taking a picture. poor fella...



I'd like to end this post with another funny Jeff quote.
"Ya know? Some people are just born a good person. Well, Im a bad person being good. I should get more presents."
- he used this as an argument to convince me to let him buy a gun.
hahahahaha.
aaaand it worked. mostly just because im so grateful to have a husband that makes me laugh so hard. we both have a really quirky and exclusive sense of humor and we are always cracking each other up.
i love being married to that "bad boy turned good" ;)

2 comments:

  1. I love homemade bread! My mom bought a breadmaker when I was younger and holy moley did we make the crap out of bread. It was so good! I really need to jump back on the homemade bread wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wheat bread with honey instead of sugar. (Or a mixture of honey and molasses... so yummy.) The only thing you have to do is figure out how to adjust the liquid since honey adds liquid and sugar doesn't. You could probably just google it- I'm sure someone has figured it out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...