Thursday, February 13, 2014

6 healthy, easy, and delicious breakfast ideas.

I have been slowly transforming to a healthy lifestyle for the past year. I have come to love eating healthy and have many strong opinions on the matter. For instance, I believe in fueling my body with REAL food. But at the same time, i let myself have a treat every once in while. (People who never treat themselves bug me because they are just making their life miserable.) 

Ok I'm going to do a little series of FAST, HEALTHY, AND DELICIOUS meals, each segment including some extra tips and tricks I have learned.
The series will consist of: breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts/snacks

My first segment is: Breakfast.
Here are 6 of my favorite breakfast meals that are on rotation. It is SO important to start your day off right by eating healthy foods. I'm guilty of being a breakfast-skipper in the past. Shame on me!
FAIR WARNING: I may have gone a little over the top on the blueberries. But umm, I'm obsessed. they are so incredibly healthy for you. Seriously, like one of the best things you can put in your body. Oh, and they taste like candy! umm, hello?! why the heck would i not put them on...everything? Yes they are expensive but a small little container can really go a long way. 

 1. Banana Oatmeal: 1/2 coined banana,  3/4 C unsweetened almond milk (or regular milk), 1 Teaspoon raw honey. (emphasis on the raw, the cheap honey that comes in those little bears might as well be straight sugar and doesn't really have any health benefits), 1/4 C pecans, and a small handful of blueberries. Heat the bananas up with oatmeal for 2 minutes, then stir. Add in the honey, nuts, and fruit. (obviously versatile and interchangeable)
 1. Fried Egg Tostado. crisp a corn tortilla on a skillet. set aside while you make the guacamole. (1/2 avocado mashed with 1 T milk, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and 1 teaspoon lime juice). spread guacamole on tortilla and top with one slice of crisped deli turkey and a fried egg. Top with a bit of cheese.
 Yogurt & Granola: 1/2 C plain greek yogurt, small handful of almonds, 1/4 C granola (homemade is best- i'll post the recipe another time), and small handful of fruit. Of course this picture is of blueberries, but I switch it up with different fruit every day! This is such a good thing to eat when you are having a sugar craving!
 Grape Nuts & lemon water: Ok I know of so many people who hate on grape nuts, but I'm obsessed and I think you should just give it a try! Shake it up and add fruit like...blueberries. again. guilty. This stuff is just about the best thing you can eat in the morning...loaded with fiber and also a good source of protein and whole grains. Whole grains are the best to eat in the morning because they are slow burning carbs which makes them easier to burn off throughout the day and actually combat against late night sugar cravings. Fiber is good in the morning because it really gets your metabolism going. I also drink lemon water almost every morning. There are so many health benefits to drinking lemon water. It cleanses your system, aids in digestion, and improves your immune system. I feel so refreshed and energized after gulping down a glass of this every morning. See more benefits here.
Turkey and Cheese Omelette: me and my husband have this at least twice a week- it is our favorite breakfast! I start by getting a couple slices of deli turkey and crisping them on a skillet. I then mix, salt, and pour 2 eggs on top of the turkey. let egg cook and then sprinkle with cheese: mozzarella is the best but I sometimes use a bit of cheddar too. Oh and the turkey is great because it tastes like bacon! mm :) Sometimes we add in some green pepper or spinach or other veggies! Omelettes are also very versatile!

picture via
Banana-Egg Pancakes: Oh my gosh it took me so long to finally try these. I was SO skeptical of these pancakes but i LOVED them. I combined 1 banana and 2 eggs together with a mixer. I then added a pinch of baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 Tablespoon flax seed (optional), and a pinch of cinnamon. Spray pan and cook on medium-low heat. They taste wonderful, but I still can't figure out how to flip them without destroying them. (they are very delicate). So, i stole this picture because mine usually look extremely undesirable. I ate them with a very light spread of peanut butter and that's it because they already have sweetness. They are DELISH and if you have been hesitant to jump on the no-flour pancakes bandwagon; now is the time to jump on because i'm telling you- you will never look back. These would be a PERFECT post-workout snack as well. 

if any of you have any other good ideas or tips- let me know and leave a comment! Or if you try any of these let me know how they work for you :) 


5 comments:

  1. I'm super super impressed! Where do you have all this time to make gourmet breakfasts in the morning miss mother/student/health coach? You're amazing and don't forget it. I'm trying these too. I think my husband would love them as well. He currently eats a smoothie every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pinned this for future reference! All of these look so good, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy Kerri! :) I am definitely a breakfast kinda girl. I'm kind of obsessed with it and it's my favorite meal of the day. No lies. Another delicious, healthy, quick breakfast is to make overnight steel-cut oats (http://christinasadventures.com/2014/01/overnight-steel-cut-oats.html)! They are super easy and make breakfast the next morning so convenient. I also have done it where I cook the steel-cut oats for 5 minutes at a boil, pour the mixture into glass jars, cover, and let it sit overnight. The next morning, the oats are all cooked and ready to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mikaila! you always have good healthy ideas :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...