Thursday, March 27, 2014

Healthy Snacks/desserts

Here are my top 5 FAVORITE healthy snacks. I already did my favorite breakfasts and lunches. I'm not one of those people who makes up a healthy recipe and claims it is good just because I don't want to admit that one of my healthy creations was actually gross. Because sometimes I try making a healthy snack and it IS gross. But these ones are not, I promise. Without further ado....

dried apricots

 Okay so I just buy them at Winco. They are also at Sprouts. So, no preparation on my part; but every time I am craving candy or dessert and I eat these- the craving is completely satisfied. (i will admit that sometimes i give into the real craving before i eat these. oops) They really do taste like candy. I love all dried fruits, but these are more fruit snack-ish.

banana ice cream
1 Frozen banana (easiest if sliced before you put in freezer)
3/4 C unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
mix in food processor until chunks are gone.
DELICIOUS MILKSHAKE
(in this one i added strawberries, my husband likes adding a touch of cocoa powder because then it tastes like a chocolate milkshake, but i'm not a huge chocolate fan.)

gosh dangit this stuff is so dang delicious. I honestly prefer it to ice cream and, to me, it tastes like a sinful dessert- but it's not!! i cannot recommend this enough! also this may sound weird but it's much easier to drink out of a cup than to eat out of a bowl. 

fruit salad
cut up and mix whatever fruit i have on hand
add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
and 1 tablespoon of melted honey
drizzle over and mix.

sauteed zucchini
just sautee your favorite vegetable. I sautee in Earth Balance Olive Oil butter. (it's vegan; fun fact) i season with garlic salt and a bit of (real) parmesan cheese and it is probably my all-time favorite snack. 

peanut butter balls
1/2 C Peanut butter
1 C oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 C ground flaxseed
3 Tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
mix together and enjoy
 These are so good!

 MUFFINS
i make a batch of muffins pretty much every week. Zucchini muffins, banana muffins, oat bran muffins, and blueberry muffins- but these are my favorite. To make muffins healthier I always use whole wheat flour, add flax seed, sometimes add oats, substitute oil with applesauce, and use either no sugar and just honey or a small amount of sugar with honey. These blueberry muffins are delicious so i'll share my recipe of these with you. email me if you want the recipes to any of my other muffins. 
2 C whole wheat flour
(one time i did 1 1/2 C wheat flour, 1/2 C white flour and it made the muffins much more luscious and fluffy. so you decide if it's worth it to you.)
2/3 C brown sugar (get over the sugar, that is like 1 teaspoon or less of sugar per muffin so it's fine)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 large egg
3/4 C plain greek yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 C unsweetened almond milk
5 Tablespoons apple sauce (can use melted butter if you don't have applesauce)
1 C fresh blueberries (rolled in wheat flour)

and ENJOY! Let me know if you have every to die for healthy desserts/snacks. And let me know if you try any of these! :)


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these Kerri! I'm really going to go get some of those dried apricots. I can't control my sweet cravings lately!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...